IN GREEK DRAMA there is a device known as peripeteia, when the plot takes an abrupt turn, a sudden reversal of fortune or dramatic change in circumstances.
Peripeteia is one of the most powerful moments of the play…the pivotal factor. It is the moment of self-discovery for the protagonist of the story which is so essential to the turning point after which the plot moves rapidly towards denouement.
The Greeks believed that tragedy, hardship and difficulty had a serious purpose in that it portrays the suffering and the reversal of the protagonist’s fortune.
In the words of Aristotle himself: “A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his own downfall.”
What is the belief, attitude and psychology that makes one man a hero and a success in life…and which perpetuates ongoing tragedy, failure and disappointment to another?
What is pivotal factor, the moment of self-discovery that wakes a man from sleep and which leads to his reversal of fortune.
The answer is, some men succeed because they accept and willingly embrace difficulty and challenge, while others, though they claim ambition, reject and run from it..
I want to introduce an overlooked and under-pursued secret of success, “Choose Your Suffering”.
Everything you want in life, every goal you want to achieve, every dream you want to manifest comes with a price tag.
To achieve any goal, you must choose the suffering that’s right for you, you must accept that reality, you must wrap both arms around that truth, and then you must live with it.
The precise moment you choose not to pay or continue not to pay the price of success is the precise moment you choose to suffer the tragic consequences of failure which is the worst kind of suffering.
Be mindful as the suffering cost of failure is ALWAYS higher than the suffering price for success.
The cost and consequences of failure in a relationship, job, career or any area can cause a monumental amount of disruption and chaos in your life.
THE HIGH COST OF FAILURE
The following are just a few examples of the suffering costs of failure:
– If you lack financial discipline you will suffer the consequences of debt and sleepless nights.
– If you do not manage your diet you will suffer the cost of diabetes and poor fitting clothing.
– By not keeping your promises, you suffer the loss of reputation.
– By choosing to be late and unprepared you will suffer the cost of lost opportunity.
– By not investing quality time with your children, you will suffer by paying the price of regret your entire life.
Sooner or later, the moment of peripeteia arrives and each of us must choose to pay the price of success or pay the cost of failure.
The cold, hard, finger-in-the-eye truth is that price of success is often more than people are willing to pay, but not more than they are capable of paying.
REAL PRICE OF SUCCESS
The following are just a few examples of the suffering costs of success:
– If you suffer the costs of disciplined spending and investing habits you enjoy peace of mind and early retirement.
– If you suffer the costs of daily exercise and nutrition you get to enjoy a great physique and an exceptional quality of life.
– By suffering the cost of inconvenience and going the extra mile for a client, you will enjoy bigger commissions and increased opportunities.
– By suffering the cost of preparation, you will enhance your reputation and social capital.
– By suffering the price of love, forgiveness, attention and patience, you will enjoy a loving relationship with your children.
True success is something that is achieved by the minority of people, and is therefore unnatural and not to be achieved by following our natural likes and dislikes, nor by being guided by our natural preferences and prejudices.
Your daily challenge is to choose your suffering. You must decide right now if you are going to pay the price for success today, or if you are going to pay the price of failure.
Peripeteia is much more than a powerful moment of a play, it is a profoundly important moment of your life…the pivotal factor, the turning point which will lead you to becoming the hero of your own life or the victim of your own choices.
I sincerely hope that this message provides the psychological wake up call you need in order to start living the bigger, brighter and far more beautiful life you want and were destined to live.
I created the 100 Day Challenge to show you how to transform your life, unleash your greatness and how to rapidly turn your hopes, dreams and goals into reality.
Enrollment is opening soon and here are five outstanding reasons why you’ll want to participate in it.
Gary Ryan Blair