Often called ‘the father of psychology’, William James taught us the ‘Act As If’ principle.
He stated, “If you want a quality, act as if you already have it”.
You’ve no doubt heard these three words before, maybe even took a crack at applying this strategy in your life. But have you ever really taken the time to ask, “what exactly does it mean to “Act As If?”
Just what it says…act as if you already possess a behavioral characteristic, an outcome, or an ideal.
While I like the overall concept and have taught it in the past, the reality is that most people have a very hard time applying this “fake it until you make it” philosophy.
I want to share with you a devastating, far more effective technique. I call it, “ASSUMING THE POSITION” and I will show you exactly what it means and how you can apply it in your life.
To explain, we must begin with a simple understanding; every outcome consists of a mental equivalent.
Huh? It’s actually very simple, before a goal or outcome is achieved, a mental process, a belief system must first be initiated.
If you simply employ the “Act As If” principle, you are engaging in actions which may very well have improper mental constructs. That’s OFTEN the case.
A “construct” in its simplest form is a concept or “model”. This in itself is not very interesting until we realize that just about everything ever made outside of nature began as an idea in someone’s head.
Some of these ideas or “Constructs” have had more impact than others over time. Of those that have had impact, some have been for the good of mankind and some have not.
The “ASSUME THE POSITION” philosophy is a powerful mental construct, it allows you to assume the correct mental position or posturing IN ADVANCE.
Here is how you must employ it to ensure maximum effectiveness:
ASSUME THE POSITION that…
– Success is guaranteed. Then take the necessary actions to ensure success.
– Your kids will grow up to be contributing members of society. Then set the right example.
– Your actions will produce desirable fruit. Then challenge your comfort zone and take the necessary risks.
– Your clients will love the value of your products and services. Then go the extra mile and treat them like royalty.
– You will get into the college you always dreamed of. Then study hard, prepare well and ace every exam.
– You will enjoy a comfortable retirement. Then save and invest your money with discipline and consistency.
– Your business will grow in these difficult times. Then get out there and outhustle, out innovate and out perform your competitors.
Assuming the position is not just a smart success strategy, it’s a mental construct that allows you to best position yourself for success in virtually any situation.
And if you’d like to learn more about this strategy and how you can use it to CRUSH YOUR GOALS faster and easier than you ever thought possible, than take the 100 Day Challenge.
One final thought…ASSUME THE POSITION that the only reason to set a goal is to achieve, then get out there and get it done.
Gary Ryan Blair