Unless you work at NASA, the term Escape Velocity is a foreign concept…but that’s about to change.
Escape velocity is the speed that a rocket needs to be traveling in order to break free from the gravitational pull of the earth.
Any spacecraft wishing to successfully leave the surface of the Earth needs to be accelerating at the rate of 7 miles per second, approximately 33 times the speed of sound (Mach 33) or nearly 25,000 miles per hour.
On the surface, it might appear that escape velocity is all about speed, but that’s a bit misleading as it has more to do with the use and expenditure of energy.
In this message, I want to impress upon you the idea that energy, not time, is the fundamental currency of high performance, and how you can apply to principle of escape velocity to your life and the achievement of your goals.
It’s an undeniable fact that we are all reservoirs of energy as everything we do—from interacting with colleagues and making important decisions to spending time with our family and taking the dog for a walk requires energy.
Our energy can be broken down into 4 distinct elements. Upgrading and leveraging each element provides you with an enormous opportunity to operate at your peak and thus enjoy the power of full engagement.
Your physical energy – how healthy are you?
Your emotional energy – how happy are you?
Your mental energy – how well can you focus on something?
Your spiritual energy – why are you doing all of this? What is your purpose?
The goal is to eliminate all distractions, to say goodbye to anything that undermines your ability to become a fully engaged, high performing human being.
You do that by isolating each of the four areas of energy, and asking yourself these questions:
1. What are the things that rob me of physical energy, the specific things that prevent me from living at my physical peak?
Focus on your eating, drinking, sleeping and exercise habits as well as any behavior that robs you of energy.
2. What are the things that rob me of emotional energy, the specific people, places and things that prevent me from being happy and more joyful?
Focus on the people in your life and any high maintenance, drama-fueled relationships and stressful situations that continually drain your energy and life force.
3. What are the things that rob me of mental energy, the specific things that rob your time and focus…and which undermine your productivity in any area of your life?
Focus on your physical environment, on the distractions, inefficient systems or customs that are dysfunctional, which slow things sown and which need correction or elimination.
4. What are the things that rob me of spiritual energy, the specific people, places and things that prevent me from fulfilling my highest purpose?
Focus internally on beliefs to include self-worth, self-esteem and any self-limiting beliefs that create inner duress.
Then work to identify any habit behaviors, temptations, or weaknesses that steal from your energy gas tank.
By doing this exercise you will in effect be putting the principle of Escape Velocity into practice…as the ultimate goal is to quickly…
- escape the death grip of mediocrity and low performance.
- escape the strangle hold of stress, distractions and high-maintenance people.
- escape the seduction of the comfort zone, and ultimately to…
- escape from the gravitational pull of any person, place or thing that prevents you from unleashing your greatness.
And unleashing your greatness is the precise reason why you’ll want to participate in the 100 Day Challenge which opens for enrollment in just a few days.
Gary Ryan Blair
P.S. To learn how to create a performance explosion, and achieve more in the first 100 days of the year than most people do over the course of 10 years, click here for details.